Kenya: Thousands of Miles

When I was in Kenya I walked hand-in-hand with two children to their home in the middle of the slums. On my left was the brother named Lawrence-- he was only eight. On my right was a girl named Laura who was eleven. As we walked in silence the girl stopped me and held my hand with both of hers and she whispered to me, "I love you very much."

Music


Sunday, August 17, 2008

Trekking Back


Covering Tuesday June 24th, 2008

Acts 7:3
'Leave your country and your people,' God said, 'and go to the land I will show you.'

It was our last day in Africa. It was wonderful to be back in the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. We went to the Masai Market one last time. I planned to use all my shillings since each time currency was exchanged the money would lose its value. As soon as we got there I had someone who was working on commission follow me. I had to stay with him; I don't really like being pushed into shopping. Yet, it was better than every seller chasing after me. I did end up having to pay a higher price for things but it was still cheaper than what I would have paid at an actual store.

He would get mad every time I shot down his prices. He would make them nine times higher than what I knew was even close to being right. I bought a lot of jewelry and a limestone elephant-- also some shoes that broke after a few days of wearing them. I'm not a big shopper myself but as for this experience I hate haggling prices and being yelled at by the seller and that no is not an answer. I was still firm but that didn't matter because anything that I considered had to be bought. I had accidentally put my euros with my shillings and ended up having to give those away-- then I gave up the five dollars of American money that I had.

We went to a pizza place that was nearby and we looked through everyone's random purchases. Eric and I passed April's plates around the table. We were hoping that they would be passed all the way back to her, but I suppose people were getting tired of her complaining. We then headed back to Ufungamano and the YMCA to get our bags ready for the airport. Most of my belongings were in one suitcase now while I had a few emergency type items in my carry-on. I had an extra suitcase that had been used for resources.

We said our last goodbye to the Journey and then headed for the airport. It was going to be a long flight home plus I would be going to a wedding once I got back to America. First we would fly from Nairobi to France. We were looking forward to Paris but unfortunately it was more like a three hour security hoopla and so we had no extra time to explore the city. We played mafia for a short while, and I hadn't slept in hours because I didn't sleep on the Kenya plane. We then headed to Chicago where we had a slight lay-over and delay. Then we headed for Springfield, Missouri on a short flight. Our team went their separate ways to various homes and friends. I went with Jenny to her house to stay until my parents could pick me up from Arkansas. I then headed to Oklahoma City the next day for a wedding. For seven days I had been sleeping in a different city and bed.




Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

No comments:

Slideshow